Child Custody, Visitation And Child Support

Located in Johnston, Comerford & Saccoccio helps clients in Providence and throughout Rhode Island obtain child custody, visitation and support orders that protect their parental rights and ensure minor children are well cared for.

Custody and Visitation

There are two types of custody in Rhode Island: physical and legal. Physical custody refers to the amount of time you spend with your child, or the “overnights” children spend in your home. Legal custody refers to each parent’s decision-making authority. When parents have legal custody, they have the power to make decisions regarding the child’s health, education, religion and general welfare.

Custody in Rhode Island may be sole or joint. Joint custody does not mean children divide their time equally between the parents. Instead, joint custody arrangements may grant primary physical custody to one parent and visitation to the other. When parents have joint legal custody, they must work together to make decisions on their child’s behalf.

In Rhode Island, custody decisions are based on the best interests of the child. Courts evaluate multiple factors when making this determination, including:

When children are born outside marriage, paternity must be legally established before custody, visitation and support orders can be obtained.

At Comerford & Saccoccio, we fight to protect our clients’ parent-child relationships. Our attorneys work closely with clients to develop parenting plans that protect minor children and ensure parent-child bonds are respected.

Child Support

At Comerford & Saccoccio, we help clients obtain child support orders, enforce payment and terminate their child support obligations.

In Rhode Island, child support is determined by a formula based on each parent’s income, the custody arrangement and the number of children each parent is supporting. Support is legally required until a child reaches age 18 or graduates from high school. However, support obligations may not automatically cease at this point. Instead, the supporting parent must petition the court for termination of support. Failure to do so can result in unnecessary support obligations. If you fail to keep paying, you may be subject to liability for unpaid support and collection actions may be initiated.

Contact our Johnston child custody lawyers at 401-944-1600. Consultations are free.